[wplug] reckless pedestrians

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jun 14 19:41:44 EDT 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:22:13 -0700 (PDT)
terry mcintyre <terrymcintyre at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I checked the law in Los Angeles: one may legally ride
> bicycles on the sidewalk, except in a reckless manner.
> Can't speak to the law in Pittsburgh.
>
> My pet beef: reckless pedestrians.
>
> Many times, I have seen pedestrians launch out of a
> doorway and blithely cross the sidewalk, looking
> neither to their right nor left, absolutely oblivious
> to their surroundings. Or the group of two to five
> pedestrians, ambling along, spread across the entire
> width of the sidewalk.
>
> Where is it writ that a pedestrian may ambulate at
> will, blinders and all, creating a moving hazard and
> obstruction? Instead of complaining about others, I
> suggest that pedestrians wake up, use their eyeballs,
> and quit hogging the sidewalk.

In DC, it's the law that you yield to pedestrians in cross
walks.  Everywhere else; however, they appear to be free
game.  I.e.: It's probably a good defense that if someone
walks out in front of your vehicle, not being in a crosswalk,
and you hit them, it's like "oh well."  :P

This discussion is always in the local news around here.

--
Tom Rhodes