[wplug] Zaurus?

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Wed Jun 14 01:07:50 EDT 2006

> I'm interested in using a Zaurus 5500 (got a good deal on a used one) for a
> wearable-computing application. Specifically, I'm looking to take one of
> these serial accelerometers
> (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/categories.php?cPath=23_80) and record the
> output data over a period of time. I'm fairly confident of the Zaurus's OS
> (OpenZaurus looks to be a stripped down version of Debian), but less so of
> the hardware.
>
> Does anybody know if the serial connection would be able to communicate with
> one of these fellas? My biggest concern is the power requirement. If I can't
> pass power over the serial connection, it's pretty much shot.
>
> Just wondering if anybody's mucked about with these little portable Linux
> machines before, and might have some pointers.

 	I have used these in a wearable application. They're real handy,
quite portable, and you can make a battery pack for longer use.

 	As far as the serial goes, it shoudl work with anything serial. I
seem to recall the lab I was in got two serial ports working out of the
one connector, but I could remember wrong. One for GPS, one for
accelerometer/GSR/whatever.

 	http://www.media.mit.edu/wearables/mithril

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com