[wplug] pci-express question

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Jun 13 21:37:42 EDT 2006

I've got a hardware question for y'all.

I'm looking at getting a raid card - a real raid card not one of the
cheapo ones that does it all in software (besides, linux can do that
anyway).  Most of the good cards are PCI-X or PCI-E x8.  PCI-X boards
tend to be a bit expensive and lack some of the features I'd like for a
desktop machine.  This leaves me looking at PCI-E.

An easy way to get extra PCI-E x8 or x16 slot on a motherboard is to
purchase an SLI board (either two x16 slots, or some of the new hotness
that have quad x16 slots).  Are the x16 slots on SLI mobos only for
video cards or do they also work with other PCI-E x8 or PCI-E x16 cards
such as RAID?

Thanks!

--Patrick