[wplug] OT: Risk management (helmet laws)

Doug Green diego96 at mac.com
Tue Jun 13 12:17:32 EDT 2006

On 6/13/06 12:08 PM, "Jonathan S. Billings" <billings at negate.org> wrote:

> I hear a lot of griping coming from people who bicycle, but I admit that
> there are a lot of idiot bicyclists too who misbehave and don't follow
> the rules of the road.  Often, bikers will use the sidewalk when
> convenient, cross against a light, and not signal properly.  It's as if
> they act like a road vehicle half the time, and as a pedestrian the
> other.

That's such a Pittsburgh Comment that I don't even know where to start. How
about with the fact that THEY HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY?? Consider you and your
car a guest on HIS street. Bicyclists in THIS CITY use the sidewalk because
it's UNSAFE to drive on a road with no bike lane. I agree that running a red
is just pain stupid.

This is one of the most "bicycle unfriendly" cities in the US. Weather
aside, road conditions aside, lack of bicycle lanes aside, the drivers here
just plain suck. I don't fault a guy on a bicycle to do whatever he needs to
do to be safe in this town.