[wplug] OT: Risk management (helmet laws)

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Jun 13 12:08:20 EDT 2006

I hear a lot of griping coming from people who bicycle, but I admit that
there are a lot of idiot bicyclists too who misbehave and don't follow
the rules of the road.  Often, bikers will use the sidewalk when
convenient, cross against a light, and not signal properly.  It's as if
they act like a road vehicle half the time, and as a pedestrian the
other.

It's no wonder that other drivers don't treat them like a road vehicle.
You can never tell when they're suddenly going to behave like a
pedestrian!  The majority of bicyclists I see on the road are excellent
"drivers", and follow the rules of the road, but you have to just assume
they'll weave in front of your car, or go through a stopsign.  I guess
it's the problem you see everywhere -- most people behave sanely, but
you have to assume that everyone is insane, otherwise you won't be
prepared.

--
Jonathan Billings

We can defeat gravity.  The problem is the paperwork involved.