[wplug] OT: Risk management (helmet laws)

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Jun 13 11:34:28 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 11:24 -0400, Doug Green wrote:
> GOTTA Throw out HUGE RED FLAG HERE!!!
>
> Come on man- this is a MASSIVE generalization. I think you need to
> reconsider your words and your attitude towards motorcyclists.

So, you're saying that the small percentage of people out there acting
like "boneheads" (not my term, I just used it from another post) are in
fact attempting self improvement or cultural improvement?

> I hold TWO doctorate degrees. I'm a practicing physician, hold a PhD in
> Cellular and Molecular Neuropathology, and am an NIH funded researcher. And
> I ride a motorcycle!

I'd also guess that you probably don't act like an idiot on the road.
At least, I should hope.

> "Self and cultural improvement"?! Maybe you should start by recognizing your
> own prejudices!
>
> Your generalization doesn't hold water, and is simply not true.

I suspect you're jumping to conclusions here -- I never said all
motorcyclists are out there for a rush.  Just the ones you see on the
highway doing stupid things like wheelies in traffic.  Also, I was
merely comparing their choice of exhilaration with that of a scientist,
explorer or soldier.

--
Jonathan Billings

Eureka!