[wplug] OT: Risk management (helmet laws)

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Jun 13 10:33:21 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 10:18 -0400, Poyner, Brandon wrote:
> Yes, the guy
> was a complete bonehead, but that kind of dare devil attitude of a small
> percentage of motorcyclists can make the whole community look bad.  It's
> in the motorcycling community's best interest to convince these people
> not to needlessly endanger themselves and others on public roads.

The problem as I see, is that the motorcycling community attracts
certain risk-taking members, which is what leads to protesting helmets
and popping a wheelie on the parkway.

Risk management, and risk assessment, are actually useful things to
think about, particularly for us computer geeks.  But I am guessing that
this thread doesn't want to be pulled in that direction.

Risk-taking has its benefits and failures.  Inventors, business
innovators, scientists -- all take a certain amount of risk to produce a
new idea.  Explorers discover new and amazing new places.  There is a
neurophysiology element to risk-taking, which is probably why you see
such bone-headed behavior on the roads, rather than an attempt at self-
and cultural-improvement.  In today's jaded culture, there aren't many
new frontiers to explore, and it takes 12+ years of education or
training to be a scientist or astronaut.  Riding a motorcycle is a
"quick fix."

In my opinion, if you want to get a rush of excitement, and risk getting
yourself killed, join the military, go to the middle-east.  You'll be
saving people's lives probably, rather than wasting your own.

--
Jonathan Billings

Those who can, do; those who can't, simulate.