[wplug] OT: Risk management (helmet laws)

Michael Semcheski lists at immuneit.com
Tue Jun 13 09:30:55 EDT 2006

O'Connor, Michael P. wrote:
> Well Billings some good may yet come of this (boy am I going to get
> flamed)  But it is possible that after this drivers of cars might be
> aware of bikers.

Now you could have written a modern day magna carta following that.  I
don't know, because I absolutely won't let my eyes stray further down
the screen.  I've been on this Earth too long and am far too jaded to
think that anything (except for possibly the two things I suggest below)
could get drivers attention _and_ keep it.

Most drivers are shameful examples of why $8 per gallon gas would be a
good thing.  If drivers are putting more of their attention on the road,
it won't last until the end of the week.  Old habits are hard to break.
At least with $8 gas, people are more judicious about when they drive,
and probably have to bike it here or there.  Nothing improves your
driving attitude like riding a bike.  That's my first idea.  The second
follows...

Now, this may sound crazy, but bear with me.  What if we put a different
Congressmen on a Hayabusa each week, and sent him careening through high
traffic areas.  To maximize the impact this would have, they could have
it on Fox (even better, CSPAN - no commercials.)  It would be a valuable
lesson for our drivers, and it might bring CSPAN ratings up.