[wplug] OT: Risk management (helmet laws)

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Jun 13 08:51:17 EDT 2006

On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 08:37 -0400, Burt E Reany wrote:
>   It turned out that many of the new head injuries that occurred to troops
> who were wearing these metal helmets would have previously been fatal. Many
> lives were, indeed, saved - but treating those who were now upgraded to
> "survivors" cost more.

More evidence that economics rarely justifies safety.  I really doubted
it would.

Now, I wouldn't mind letting natural selection take its role, and "weed"
out the idiots who think they're too cool to wear a helmet.  I just hate
having to wash blood and bone fragments from the grill of my SUV*.  At
least, this spectacular example of selection might actually allow the
idea of safety to sink into the soft foamy brains of the
football-watching, bare-headed biking community.  Ideas are much easier
to wash off the hood than brains.

* NOTE: I don't own a car.

--
Jonathan Billings

The best defense against logic is ignorance.