[wplug] OT: Risk management (helmet laws)

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Tue Jun 13 06:39:32 EDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 18:42 -0400, Ben Beige wrote:
> I really trhink it's nto the governmet's place to require me to think
> of my own safty, or owe them money if they catch me being  recklace.
> it's my neck not thiers. also helmets reduce visibility,a dn make for
> poor perrifral vision.

I tend to think of requiring a helmet an equivalent to requiring seat
belts in cars.  They save lives, and the only way to make unreasonable
people do it, (like Big Ben) would be to make it law.  I'd bet it's the
same type of person who won't wear a helmet who also won't wear a seat
belt.

I ride a bike (the human-powered kind) and I definitely wouldn't be
caught going on the roads without a helmet. They really don't limit
peripheral vision, and you've got mirrors on most motorbikes anyway to
help with that.

If only we could convince those same unreasonable people that windows is
a safety hazard, and if you must use it, at least wear a seat belt
(firefox) and a helmet (firewall).
--
Jonathan Billings

Heisenberg may have been here.