[wplug] Verizon DSL service downgrade

Mike techmike at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 10:13:04 EDT 2006

Ohh, I get to share something I actually know about rather then ask
questions..  :)  :)

Michael is correct, most of the overhead with DSL is ATM.

Also, I don't know if Verizon still uses PPPoE, but it also adds some to the
overhead.

I've heard by the time you add it all up (ATM, PPPoE, TCP, etc) you can get
anywhere from 15-20% overhead.

Where I work (small independant telco) we advertise our top tier service as
being 4mb downstream, and thats what we deliver.  To do that, we actually
provision the physical layer at 4.8mb/s.  By the time the customer sees his
speed test results, he'll typicall see 3.9 - 4.1 mb/s.   There are other
things that limit your rate too though, line quality, spliters, extensions,
distance from the CO, etc.

Beside the point, either something happened with your lines and it's a
coincidence, or Verizon dropped you down..

-Mike