[wplug] odd looking entries in httpd-access.log

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Mon Jun 12 09:57:32 EDT 2006

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 09:44:46 -0400
"O'Connor, Michael P." <mpoconnor at switch.com> wrote:

> I will say this, back in 2000 I had the same thing happen the long long
> repeating character.  I went to one of the IT people in CS at pitt (I
> was still a student back then) and he said that if such a thing was
> logged, and I was seeing it, it means that there was a hacking attempt
> but it failed, since a hacker would remove the entry from the log file,
> to cover their tracks.  To that statement I don't know how much truth
> there was to it, but just some food for thought.

That's extremely optimistic.  You're assuming that the person attempting
to break in never forgets to do anything ;).  It's also possible that
the attack doesn't allow the attacker enough access to clear the logs --
a successful attack may only give them limited access, not enough to
cover their tracks.

In practice, I think your professor is right 90% of the time, but it's
not a Law of Breakin Attempts.  CMU did a lot of research and found that
a large percentage of folks who successfully break in don't really know
what to do once they've succeeded.

You should assume the worst.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

IMPORTANT: This message contains confidential information and is
intended only for the individual named. If the reader of this
message is not an intended recipient (or the individual
responsible for the delivery of this message to an intended
recipient), please be advised that any re-use, dissemination,
distribution or copying of this message is prohibited. Please
notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received
this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or
destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The
sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or
omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a
result of e-mail transmission.