[wplug] Verizon DSL service downgrade

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Jun 11 14:47:57 EDT 2006

Mike Sussman <msussman at na-net.ornl.gov> wrote:

> Wpluggers, I wonder if anyone else has observed this downgrade.
>
> I have been a Verizon DSL customer for several years, always with the
> consumer-grade service (max download about 768KB/sec).  I have never
> observed download speeds greater than about 250KB/sec, but I
> consistently used to see speeds of about 175 doing my Ubuntu system
> upgrades.
>
> Recently, my service agreement expired and I took advantage of the
> reduced price for the "same" level of service.  (The salesperson told me
> that I could either get the higher level of service for the $30/month I
> had been paying or get the same level of service for $15/month.  I chose
> the cheaper alternative.)  Within days of that telephone call, my Ubuntu
> system upbrades dropped to about 95KB/sec.  About half the speed.
>
> So it seems that Verizon deliberately downgraded my service when it
> reduced my price, despite its advertisement.
>
> Has anyone else had experience with the new Verizon pricing structure?

I've seen multiple instances of Verizon's deceptive sales tactics for
several years.  I'm to the point that I just assume whatever they say is
a lie.  Your particular story is just another for me to add to my list.

About a year ago, I got involved with a client who was considering
switching from their current provider to Verizon DSL.  The salesperson
promised that everything would be the same at half the price.  The
salesperson lied that the price included a static IP, when we asked.
I didn't trust them, and did some out of band research and it turned
out that the static IP was _not_ included and the purchase would have
broken the client's email and web site.

When confronted, a Verizon employee claimed that Verizon subcontracts
their salesforce, which means lies like this are "not our responsibility."
Oddly enough, this was exactly the same excuse I got when Verizon sold
me a cell plan that didn't exist in 1999.

--
Bill Moran

There's more'n seventy little earth's spinning about the galaxy, and the
meek have inherited not a one.

        Malcom Reynolds