[wplug] [wplug-announce] GUM: Just ask WPLUG June 10 10am - 2pm Newell Simon Hall 3002

Beth Lynn bethlynn at wplug.org
Thu Jun 8 14:44:22 EDT 2006

Hello,

Western PA Linux Users Group will be hosting a General Users Meeting
(GUM) featuring 4 questions from you. It will be held on this Saturday
June 10, 2006 from 10am to 2:00 pm  at Carnegie Mellon University,
Newell Simon Hall 3002. This meeting is free and open to the general
public. No RSVP required.

PLEASE NOTE THE LOCATION: Newell Simon Hall 3002
Visit our new Maps and Directions page
http://www.wplug.org/pages/wplugmap/
Please note that our new phone number is 412 268 4998
Make sure to print out the directions. Due to demolition that started in
May 2006, you are encouraged to park on the large parking on Forbes across
the street from Hamburg Hall. If you don't know where this is *look at the
directions please.*

GUM Topic: Just Ask WPLUG
Speakers: Bill Moran, Ted Rodgers, Beth Lynn Eicher and David Ostroske

"Just Ask WPLUG" is a new program where we asked this list to come up
with questions for our experts to research and do a mini talk to answer
the questions. Four questions were submitted before the deadline.

Bill will take Greg's question.
Ted will take Scott's question.
Beth Lynn will take Vance's question.
David will take John's question (with assistance from Duncan).

Here are the questions:

Greg Simkins asks...
I installed the new 6.06 ubuntu certified LAMP server on a Dell
Optiplex GX110 (Pentium III).  I am able to display the default
apache web page on a PC on my home LAN.  Now, I gotta figure out how
to upload web files.  I printed out the server manual and installed
the ftp server and went through the configuration file (using sudo
pico) and got it to accept files uploaded to my /home/greg folder.
(I can't write when I log in as anonymous).  I was looking for a way
to configure the home directory so that I can upload files to the
folder where apache is looking for the html files.  Hopefully I can
get this figured out before Genius day next week, but perhaps
somebody could talk about how to configure a web server.  This
certified LAMP server installed pretty easily and is supposed to be
simple to operate, but I am missing some instructions here
somewhere.

Scott Fones asks...
I'm interested in installing SELinux on my 2006.0 Gentoo Desktop (AMD
64).  I've used Fedora's targeted policy before and know gentoo offers a
server oriented policy.  However, I was wondering if there are any
policies that include the X server and either KDE or GNOME for Gentoo.

Vance Kochenderfer asks...
Is there a simple way to add basic GUI functionality to a shell
script?  Something like dialog boxes, file selection, etc.  I'm
thinking of something that can do more than xmessage, but is
still reasonably lightweight and doesn't require learning Perl/
Python/[insert your favorite language here].

John Koczko
Here it is... My son just bought an Xbox360 for about $300.  You can
probably pick up the previous Xbox version for next to nothing.  They
sell these things at a loss because they figure that you'll invest in a
bunch of games for it, where they get their money back.  I've heard that
you can run Linux on one of these.
* Is it really worth doing this?
* What kind of performance could you get out of one of these things?
* What would an equivalent PC cost?
* Can you switch back and forth between running it as a PC and running
it as an Xbox?

Schedule:
10:00 AM: Doors open - coffee, OJ and donuts served
11:00 AM: Just Ask WPLUG Presentations
12:00 Noon: Pizza Lunch, $5 contribution
1:00 PM: Social Hour
2:00 PM: Adjournment

See you there!

Beth Lynn Eicher
WPLUG Vice Chair

Upcoming Events...
Sunday June 11 2pm Erie Revival Panera Bread Keystone Drive, Erie PA
Saturday July 8 10am-5pm Installfest CMU NSH 3rd floor Atrium
Saturday July 15 Sungard Site Visit
Saturday August 5 GUM TBD
Saturday August 12 1pm-6pm Picnic, Snyder Park Whitehall South Hills

For questions about this event or about WPLUG, please contact
info at wplug.org