[wplug] Alsa & route_policy copy

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Mon Jun 5 14:52:02 EDT 2006

I'm trying to record the output of my sound card, I've come across a
bunch of articles saying that simply putting by simply putting  the
following in ~/.asoundrc file & using arecord should be enough.

pcm.copy {
  type plug
  slave {
    pcm hw
  }
  route_policy copy
}

The arecord command then being:
arecord -f cd -t wav -D copy foobar.wav

However, this file always appears to be empty when I'm done recording.

Additional (helpful?) facts:
1) The application (Elluminate) is written in Java and appears to only
recognize OSS drivers, so I'm forced to use the alsa-oss emulation
layer.
2) I've also tried esd & esdmon, but the app just blows past that and
goes straight to the OSS drivers.  (At least the output of esdmon is an
empty file).
3) I've tried to use audacity, but the app grabs the sound card and poor
audacity can't get control to record anything.

Anyone out there have experience in doing this (trying to get the sound
output from a stubborn application)?