[wplug] Wi-Fi with linux using WPA2

Cameron McBride cameron.mcbride at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 01:26:08 EDT 2006

On 5/30/06, Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org> wrote:
> I've found that the interface for wpa_supplicant to be pretty hackish --
> editing a file until you get it right.  The documentation on ubuntu is
> pretty awful, and the example configurations don't explain what you're
> doing.  I just happened across the right configuration for my Apple
> Airport after trying things at random.

I agree with Jonathan, from what I saw (and the documentation) the
wpa_supplicant
config was less than pretty and looked pretty thrown together. I know
it might be the right way to go, but I was looking for something
easier I could just point someone to (and have it be nice and GUI
like)

In any case, I didn't use wpa_supplicant itself.  I want to reiterate
Patrick's suggestion of network-manager.  Not only does it just work
well, it handles WPA2 without a problem (I didn't investigate what it
might use under the hood).  It's as easy to configure as OSX's
wireless (which is dead simple).  Thank you, Patrick.

Really, it looks as good as sliced bread. **

Cameron

** this critera is somewhat weak.  I mean to say that I was able to
have my friend apt-get it, and got it working with WPA2 in no more
than 2 minutes.  Not my laptop, nothing too terrible for a newbie.