[wplug] fios & IPCOP

Mike techmike at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 08:58:31 EDT 2006

On 7/26/06, Rick Reynolds <rick at rickandviv.net> wrote:

> Oh, and I get a public IP address (via DHCP) on the WAN port of my router.

That answers it for the original poster.  If FIOS works like that
everywhere, then IPcop shouldn't have a problem.

On 7/26/06, Brian A. Seklecki <lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org> wrote:

> That's where the the MAC cloning feature came from.  A guy who spliced
> copper in manholes for 20 years gets his job eliminated.  Union
> guarantees him a position in the industry.  They train them formally on
> telco gear administration for 48 hours.

Not necessarily true.  A lot of DSL providers use PPPoE, there are three
pieces of information that get verified.  Username, Password, and MAC
address.  Some companies give customers their own username and password,
others use the same username and password, but use the MAC address as the
differentiating piece of information.  When a customers modem (router) is
provisioned that MAC address is stored in in a database for the PPPoE server
to look at.  So if a customer wants to use their own router, they either
have to ask the ISP to build it's MAC address in the system, or clone the
MAC of the ISP provided unit.

And not all telco techs are field grunts.  Maybe in the larger ex Bell
systems this may be true, but a lot of smaller independants are more
technologically advanced.

Just my 2 cents..  :)

-Mike