[wplug] How to start downloaded packages (Unbuntu)

Tom Fetherston tfetherston at ncdcorp.com
Thu Jul 20 14:37:22 EDT 2006

Using the Synaptic gooey to drive apt-get, I've downloaded a lot of
packages I've long been interested in playing with.  Now a few (very
few) go ahead and install themselves in the application menu, so they
are easy to start.  The others don't, which is fine, I'd rather arrange
things to my liking, not all the shortcuts and icons and registry junk
windows installers spread around.

So I figured that Synaptic put things in a directory where executables
are expected to be found and have a name that (somewhat) matches the
package name, therefore I should be able to open a terminal and just
type that name, crack a return and look at my new goodies.  Well, it
must be more complicated than that 'cause this isn't working.

Just for some concrete examples, I downloaded teTeX package(s), and LyX.

I'm sure this is simple, just not obvious to me.

Tom