[wplug] fyi

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Jul 19 08:30:40 EDT 2006

> Zach,
>
> Thanks for your feedback.  We wanted WPLUG to be involved.  In fact, I
> extended the invite to Beth Lynn for last year's event.  She decided not
> to participate.  This year we are up to 15 local user groups
> participating.  WPLUG members are always welcome and we encourage them
> to attend.

I want to make a couple statements about this:

First off, there's already been plenty of discussion as to whether "Summer
Slam" is the kind of event that WPLUGgers are interested in.  I've been to
one, and as has already been reported, it's a lot of marketing and sales
people in a Geek Nightish atmosphere.  It reminded me of that scene at the
beginning of most James Bond movies where he meets the villain at a party.

Secondly, WPLUG only has so many volunteer hours to spare.  Coordinating
the monthly GUMs and installfests takes time and effort.  I'm unsure as
to what Jared means when he claims Beth declined to "participate", but if
he wanted her to volunteer any time for the event, I can't blame her for
turning him down.  Between WPLUG and OLF, she has her hands full.  The
demand for talented organizers like Beth is pretty high, and she has to
pick/choose which events she helps out with or she runs out of available
time.  If it were me, I'd choose OLF over Summer Slam.

Thirdly, this is _exactly_ the kind of discussion and effort I was hoping
to see result from the creation of a PR committee, so it's pretty exciting
for me.  The goal is to work with other organizations and find out where
we can successfully work together.  If there aren't any worthwhile
opportunities with the PTC, that's fine, but the process of investigating
is important!  Keep up the good work.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.