[wplug] grub-install

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Jul 14 15:39:28 EDT 2006

On 07/14/2006 01:35 PM, Arnaud Loos wrote:
> So I’m trying to run grub install to make grub my bootloader after
> reinstalling windows.
>
> Steps I’m taking (found at linuxquestions.org):
>
> Boot Knoppix
>
> Mkdir /mnt/my_system
>
> Mount –t ext3 /dev/hda2 /mnt/my_system

You can probably stop here, and use:

% grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/my_system /dev/hda

However, I would probably not even bother booting into Knoppix.  I have
a grub boot disk that I keep handy.  I'd just boot off the grub boot
disk, and type in the appropriate kernel and initrd lines, then boot the
OS, and re-run grub-install on my fully functional OS.

Grub boot disks are easy to make.  Just format a floppy with a fat
filesystem (so you can put images on it from windows, if necessary), and
run 'grub-install --root-directory=/mnt/floppy /dev/fd0'.

Logic is the chastity belt of the mind!