[wplug] OT - data mining intro

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Wed Jul 12 17:23:23 EDT 2006

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Chris Romano wrote:

> Does anyone have a recommendation on a good intro book on data mining?  I am
> looking for something that gives me a good overview of the different aspects
> of data mining, so I can gauge if I want to dig deeper or focus on something
> else.

To me, data mining is such a broad term. Do you mean looking for trends
in a database of data you already have, or web scraping of data via a
spider?
Wikipedia has a long explaination of some of the facets:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_mining

Depending on the media you want to mine from, the answer of 'a good book'
might be different.

-james