[wplug] Issue with binding two NICs

Mike Griffin mike at nbi.edu
Mon Jul 10 10:30:26 EDT 2006

I installed a fresh copy of Debian Sarge on a server with two NICs, when I
bind the interfaces together I receive some unexpected behavior.

It seems as if one of the interfaces quit working (both interfaces work fine
independently with unique IPs)
mii-tool shows both of the interfaces as being active.

When I ssh to the bond interface, it takes, literally, 3-5 minutes to
process an 'ls' command through the ssh session.

When I try to ping the bond interface from a machine on the local LAN, I
receive the following:
I'll usually receive a 66% packet loss, some of the time I receive a 100%
packet loss for hundreds of packets, and vice versa. It seems that traffic
eventually gets through.

I also get the same results when I try to ping any other machine on the
local LAN from the workstation itself.

I'm looking for some possible 'next step' suggestions on what I can test.

Here's my setup.

/etc/modutils/aliases:
alias bond0          bonding
alias eth0             e100
alias eth1             e100
options bond0 miimon=100 mode=0

/etc/modutils/actions:
probeall bond0 eth0 eth1 bonding

/etc/network/interfaces:
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet static
        address 192.168.1.23
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 192.168.1.1
       up ifenslave bond0 eth0 eth1
       down ifenslave -d bond0 eth0 eth1

(all modules are present on the system and list from an lsmod)