[wplug] USB internet sharing / SSH tunnel?

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Sun Jul 2 16:03:57 EDT 2006

On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 21:32 -0700, Shane Liesegang wrote:
> I've got a PDA running Linux (an old Sharp Zaurus) connected to my PC
> (running Ubuntu at the moment). The USB networking is fine and dandy,
> and both machines can ping each other and SSH to each other. The problem
> is getting the PDA to see the internet at large. After a few disastrous
> attempts at bridging the USB connection to the Ethernet, I'm starting to
> wonder if there's a better way.
>
> I know SSH can be used to tunnel connections by essentially tricking an
> app into thinking the local computer is the remote one and passing all
> the traffic down the SSH connection. Is it possible to make it more
> generic? Say, to tunnel port 80 to a remote host and have all traffic
> over port 80 be funneled through the SSH connection?

Yup, what you're speaking of is possible, but you'll need something to
encapsulate the packets.  Typically this is done with the PPP protocol.
You can find information of how to do an SSH/PPP VPN at:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/ppp-ssh/

Of course, your probably just better off to enable IP forwarding on your
home box.

--Patrick