[wplug] 45 Minutes with High Schoolers

Bobbie Eicher bobbie.eicher at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 12:24:38 EST 2006

On 1/30/06, J Aaron Farr <farra at apache.org> wrote:

> On 1/30/06, Tej Shah <tshah at andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> > Well, there is Alice (http://www.alice.org/).
> >
> > You don't seem to have to write any code but it at least gives the kids
> > an idea of computer logic.
>
> I hadn't heard of Alice.
>
> Someone else suggested Dr. Scheme and to point them to "How to Design
> Programs" [1].

As a point of reference, Alice was used as part of a program for high school
students that I attended some years back.

I have a vague understanding that it's since been rewritten, and I wasn't in
the group that used it, but from what my friends at the time told me it was
an interesting program to play with and they seemed to think that the
experience was worthwhile.  I believe I was told its scripting was either
Python or Python-based at the time, but I don't know if that's still true.

The good point is that I can vouch that it was successfully used by high
school students.  The downside is that it was a special program you had to
test into (though the kids you're dealing with probably have more practical
computer experience than most/all of us did due to being in a more practical
type of program) so I really can't speak to how well it'd translate to this
group.

- Bobbie