[wplug] Linux multipath tools

Michael Skowvron michaels at penguincentral.org
Mon Jan 30 12:18:01 EST 2006

Keir Josephson wrote:
> I have some experience with this. Whose storage array are you using and
> what distro? Is this on a true dual fabric layout?

The OS is SLES9-SP2 on SGI Altix and the storage is SGI TP9700 (same as
Engenio 6998). The FC controllers are QLogic 2462 dual port.

The storage has dual controllers with 4 FC host ports/controller. There
will be 2 luns, 1 owned by each controller. The RAID is configured to
use automatic volume transfer (AVT). The storage will be direct
connected to the system using either 4 or 2 paths, whichever makes more
sense.

The most important feature the customer requires is failover, but
distributing the luns is important too.  We must be able to manaully
transfer the path of a lun so we can assure proper lun ownership.

SLES9 SP2 ships with multipath-tools-0.4.4. The customer was planning to
use LVM, but I'm willing to look at other volume mangers, too. I'm used
to working with SGI XVM multipath using RDAC mode on the RAID. The
customer can't use XVM because the application is Oracle and the
proprietary modules would invalidate their support.

Thanks,

Michael