[wplug] Building vs. RPMs?

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Sun Jan 22 20:07:07 EST 2006

On Jan 19, 2006, at 9:56 PM, Douglas Green wrote:

> Is there any performance advantage to building a package from
> source rather than installing a precompiled binary or RPM? In other
> words- is the package somehow more tailored to my system (and it's
> various dependencies)?? My Googling didn't yield a good yes/no
> answer. RPMs seem to land me in dependency hell pretty often...
> Thanks,
> -D

I often build my own RPMs, largely because I have an amd64 CPU and I
like to use the RPM packaging system to manage my programs.  I build
firefox and thunderbird as amd64 apps for my fedora core 4 system,
for example.

You'd be surprised by how many open source packages come with a spec
file, so if it isn't part of Fedora's distribution, you can often
still build an RPM for it without much effort.  Unfortunately, a lot
the time you have to hack the specfile because the person who wrote
it doesn't really understand how to write them, or wrote them for an
outdated or alternative RPM-based distro.

One of the things I definitely recommend is to install Fedora's
fedora-rpmdevtools package.  You can then build the packages as a
normal user.  It'll create the appropriate ~/rpmbuild directory, as
well as a ~/.rpmmacros file.  You can add specific optimizations to
your ~/.rpmmacros file.  If you want to see what macros you have
already, try running 'rpmbuild --showrc' (lots of info, might want to
pipe it into a pager).

Notes:
RPM SPEC files for building mozilla: http://fedoranews.org/tchung/
firefox/