[wplug] xrandr, screen pivot, and free drivers

Bryon Gill bgtrio at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 12 11:26:33 EST 2006

I have a monitor that can pivot 90 degrees so that you can view lots of text
vertically at once.  I also am using a Radeon 9200, which is the last of the ATI
cards for which there are fre 3d drivers available.  I wanted to be able to
rotate my screen using xrandr, but when I run it it tells me the only rotation
possible is "normal", and a little googling tells me that my driver doesn't
support rotation.

Does anyone know of a free driver (2d is ok) that supports rotation?  I
understand that rotation is possible with the NVidia proprietary drivers but
I'd prefer to find a way to do this using only free software if possible.  I am
open to getting a new video card if there's no way to do it with the radeon.

Bryon