[wplug] Meeting presentation idea: Public Key Encryption

Rob Jeffries rl_jeffries at comcast.net
Tue Jan 10 17:47:10 EST 2006

Will you answer my post?
http://www.wplug.org/pipermail/wplug/2006-January/027494.html

-----Original Message-----
From: wplug-bounces+rl_jeffries=comcast.net at wplug.org
[mailto:wplug-bounces+rl_jeffries=comcast.net at wplug.org] On Behalf Of
Christopher DeMarco
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 8:37 PM
To: General user list
Subject: Re: [wplug] Meeting presentation idea: Public Key Encryption

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 06:04:27PM -0500, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:

> somebody who knows how the Public Key infrastructure is supposed to
> work, from the perspective of the small-time system administrator,
> particularly x509 stuff?  Things like how to create and sign a
> self-signed certificate for secure email and web serving, and how to
> distribute the certificate authority file to users so that everybody
> involved can trust everybody?

If nobody else steps up, I'll take this on.

I'm very well-equipped to talk about PKI theory and operation,
not-so-well equipped to talk about x509 setup.  My PKI has always been
a combination of SSL and SSH - which works just fine for what I've
done, but I'll have to do a bit of research on the other systems.

> The talk could also clarify the differences between a certificate signed
> by, say, Verisign, and a homebrew one.

Easy.

> A future talk, or the same talk, could then talk about how to encrypt
> email using PGP keys... what with WiFi becoming ever present (and wiretaps

> becoming ever easier to get).

Easy as pi.  I'll even demonstrate a TLS/SMTP-AUTH setup, AND for one
LOW PRICE, talk about the differences between your requested PGP +
email and a TLS/SMTP-AUTH setup.

> Does this seem interesting?

YES!

But since I've got SOO MUCH free time (biz plan 2006, doncha know),
would anybody like to tag-team with me on this?

--
Christopher DeMarco <cmd at alephant.net>
Alephant Systems (http://alephant.net)