[wplug] Meeting presentation idea: Public Key Encryption

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Mon Jan 9 18:04:27 EST 2006

I was looking over the lists of meeting topics that we've had at WPLUG in
the last few years, and I've been grappling with all sorts of encryption
and authentication problems, and I was thinking, how about a talk by
somebody who knows how the Public Key infrastructure is supposed to work,
from the perspective of the small-time system administrator, particularly
x509 stuff?  Things like how to create and sign a self-signed certificate
for secure email and web serving, and how to distribute the certificate
authority file to users so that everybody involved can trust everybody?
The talk could also clarify the differences between a certificate signed
by, say, Verisign, and a homebrew one.

A future talk, or the same talk, could then talk about how to encrypt
email using PGP keys... what with WiFi becoming ever present (and wiretaps
becoming ever easier to get).

I haven't found a good encompassing treatment of this, and I still don't
understand it; otherwise, I'd offer to give the talk.

Does this seem interesting?

-Brandon