[wplug] degaussing tapes and hard drives

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Feb 24 11:16:26 EST 2006

On Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:02:32 -0500
"Matthew J. Hughes" <mhues at verizon.net> wrote:

> The other half of the
> puzzle is why bulk erasing effects the warranty.

Because it's financially smart.

It's easy to make non-technical people believe that this is a sane policy.
You can make up all sorts of techno-babble about exceeding the magnetic
capacity of the media with cheap erasers and so forth.

Since no sane company would return media for warranty repair without
erasing it first, and since erasing the media in the drive is extremely
time-consuming, the result is that most companies will destroy the faulty
media, take a $$ loss and buy replacement media.

This means better profits for the companies that make media.

Or, I could just be so paranoid that I can't help but make up conspiracy
stories.