[wplug] degaussing tapes and hard drives

Matthew J. Hughes mhues at verizon.net
Fri Feb 24 11:02:32 EST 2006

When this subject first came up I was thinking that I could figure out a
solution and offer up me to implement it. I could after all use the
work. (necessity is after all, the mother of invention.) However, I
didn't come up with one, except. Hire it out locally. See if you can
contract out the operation to one of the local tech firms.

When I was in college we used a radio shack bulk eraser to erase the
carts we used at the radio station. my short read about these left me
with the understanding that they just laser guided the magnetic head.
Why a bulk eraser couldn't be put up against the tapes is beyond my
understanding of physics. It would seem that a half decent
carpenter/engineer/electrician could rig it up. The other half of the
puzzle is why bulk erasing effects the warranty. My assumption is that
you don't want to return the tapes for replacement until the sensitive
data is removed. And the real solution you need is to make the sensitive
data unrecoverable. But if the tapes functionality is so bad that they
dump out on a bad read function, wouldn't it be better to replace the
whole process?

-matt

Oh and why we are throwing out bad solutions; store them. Put them in a
storage unit and forget about them.