[wplug] degaussing tapes and hard drives

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Wed Feb 22 11:14:03 EST 2006

If you CPIO or any other software to write anything to these tapes they will throw an I/O error within the first few meters of the tape.  This is effectively the EOT when writing.  The operating gets the interrupt from the tape drive and refuses to write any more data.  I'm unable to write beyond that point, even though there is old data that can presumably be read beyond that point (splicing, for example).  Unless you know of some trick to get around these physical media errors I don't think CPIO will cut it, nor will any other piece of software.