[wplug] degaussing tapes and hard drives

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Wed Feb 22 09:32:27 EST 2006

> would imagine using any old degausser.  In fact, I remember back when I
> worked at the radio station in college, we had a degausser that was
> basically an electromagnet with a plug.  Plug it in, wave it near a 1/4"
> tape for 30 seconds, then slowly pull it away.

 	My first couple of days at Pittsburgh OnLine, my job was to peel
off the labels of the AOL disks, bulk-erase them, and put the ancient
Trumpet Winsock with our installer on it. I learned that writing the data
onto the disks twice would make fewer of them get returned.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.zhrodague.net