[wplug] degaussing tapes and hard drives

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Wed Feb 22 08:49:18 EST 2006

Radio Shack used to sell a hand-held de-Gausser - it only had like a
5-minute duty cycle (followed by 20 minutes off) though as it was
basically just a big coil in a plastic case.  If they no longer carry it
I am sure you can get one from NewEgg or Tiger or even OfficeMax, etc.

As far as the drives - there's tons of proggys that will write/rewrite
zeros to the disk if that's what you want to do.  Failing that, a big
hammer in parking lot should render them unrecoverable.  I do not
believe you'll be able to de-Gauss a drive through it's case.