[wplug] degaussing tapes and hard drives

terry mcintyre terrymcintyre at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 21 16:58:45 EST 2006

Have you checked with the physics lab at CCAC? Odds
are that they'd have some powerful magnets handy, and
would be well acquainted with the units of
measurement, field equations, and so forth needed to
do a good job of de-gaussing the tapes.

--- "Poyner, Brandon" <bpoyner at ccac.edu> wrote:

> Does anybody have suggestions on degaussing SDLT
> media and hard drives
> without buying a $2,000+ unit?  I'm looking to get
> it done locally.  I
> don't want to destroy the tapes for warranty
> reasons, and I don't want
> to send them far offsite for security reasons.  The
> drives I'm willing
> to destroy and/or degauss.  It looks like I need
> something with at least
> a 4000 gauss field strength.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brandon Poyner
> Network Engineer III
> CCAC - College Office
> 412-237-3086

Terry McIntyre
UNIX for hire
software development / systems administration / security

213-291-5169 or 2132915169 at tmomail.com ( text )
terrymcintyre at yahoo.com