[wplug] OT - word of warning on Maxtor 250GB drives

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Tue Feb 21 12:43:21 EST 2006

wplug-bounces+don.vanco=agilysys.com at wplug.org <theoretically > put
forth the following electrons on :

> On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 08:14:55AM -0500, Vanco, Don wrote:
> > This is the fastenerless one:
> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817145314
> > Pros: seems to be about the best PSU; uses a standard C13 computer
> > cord; fan cooled; includes a decent cable
> > Cons: Size; fan is a bit loud
> > HOWEVER - I see in some reviews that they changed chipsets in this
> > thing and it's now crap :(
>
> Are there any models that are particularly good for swapping
> drives in and out frequently?  A fastener-less enclosure is
> obviously desirable, but I've also been burned by IDE and
> power connections that were either awkwardly short or
> difficult to insert and remove.  I'd appreciate any recommendations.

I have yet to find that Holy Grail.  On most of my enclosures I've
swapped in a single-drop IDE cable - 2 of the short stock ones ripped
apart (as you said, they are not meant for repeated drive swaps).

I have now added a floor fan to my little drive farm and it seems to
have cured my heat issues - I had 2 more Maxtor 200s start to "clack"
this weekend, which is the first sign they give when dying.  I guess I
never paid much attention to these drives but they do run hot, and a
statement has already been made that these things appear to cook
themselves quite nicely.

I just bought 2 more Seagate 250's, I hope I don't regret the purchase
(but they're $60/each!)  See Frye's and TigerDirect.