[wplug] Re: Distro selection assistance.

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Tue Feb 21 09:05:49 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 08:46 -0500, David Harper wrote:
> The issue I am having with Damn Small Linux ( and any other Knoppix
> type boot CD) is the following error :

Can your system boot from a USB drive in stead of the PCMCIA? From the
description of your hardware, you may have some real issues getting a
small distro on there.  I don't think many ship with support of PCMCIA
network cards or CD drives.  But, here is a few more (hopefully helpful)
ideas.  (I'm sure others will have better ones.)

With a little tweaking and a big enough drive (say 1GB) you might be
able to achieve your ends that way.  (That's how I got my toshiba with
malfunctioning dvd drive to install debian and ubuntu).

I've got a 128MB netboot image available at
http://myddrin.com/trashdeerwood/?p=69 , but from your description, taht
probably won't work for you.  (Gentle on the bandwidth please. :) )

Debian directions are here
http://www.us.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch04s04.html.en

Or, if you REALLY wanna have fun, you can build your own live cd,
and include the drivers you need. I did this recently with ubuntu breezy
and it's really straight forward.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com//LiveCDCustomizationHowTo