[wplug] Free VoIP Phone Numbers in Pittsburgh?

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Mon Feb 20 09:45:09 EST 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-20 at 09:15 -0500, David Ostroske wrote:
> Does anyone know what it would take to get a free VoIP phone number in
> the 412 (or perhaps 724) area code, that's accessible from the plain
> old phone system? Or even if that's possible right now?
>
> The reason I'm asking is that it'd be nice if we could get a
> dial-in-only number to a voicemail system via Asterisk. Has anyone
> done anything like this in the area?
>
> Patrick Wagstrom has said that free VoIP numbers are only available
> (right now) in Washington-state area codes. A cursory search on the
> interweb pretty much says the same thing, though at least one free
> service claimed to have local dial-in service on the way.

As a side note, the "We" in the above means the Western Pennsylvania
Linux Users Group.  There are several situations we've run into where
having a group phone number of voicemail box would be very helpful.
Asterisk seems to be great because we can have it forward voicemail to
our email accounts as wav/mp3/ogg/whatever.

Anyway, it you can help us out or know where to point us, it would be
very much appreciated.  Likewise, if you know of somewhere that we can
get it cheap, that might be worthwhile too.  We won't use it for
outgoing calls, just incoming -- and most of those will go right to
voicemail.

Thanks!

--Patrick