[wplug] editing PDF files with flpsed

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Fri Feb 17 15:21:45 EST 2006

So I lost the original thread to this, so those of you with threaded
mail readers now hate me.  Anyway...

Regarding filling in content in PDF/PostScript files, a lot of
suggestions have been floated, none of which is 100% ideal.  While
opening up in Gimp and then editing allows you to do lots of fun stuff,
you're left with a ginormous file when you're done (odd fact: evolution
recognized the word ginormous and being correctly spelled).  You can
dump it to text, but then you loose formatting. If you're a postscript
ninja you can probably add some content in by editing the file.

None of these seemed to work well for me.  Thankfully, for me, I have
legal copies of VmWare, WindowsXP, and Acrobat pro, to get around this.
But even these are a pain, and the cost of that toolchain is probably
not worth it.

PDF-editing-wanting masses of the world, enter your (potential) savior -
flpsed[1].

Yeah, it doesn't let you save form content, but it does let you
arbitriciously ADD text to a document (only add, deleting is verboten)
and then save it back to PDF without a huge increase in file size.  The
author claims it's alpha and may eat your files, sell your kidney on the
chinese black market, and let your creepy neighbor see through your
bedroom window at night, but from my non-scientific test, I was able to
add text on 5/5 different documents I tested.

Plus, it's in the universe repository for Ubuntu.

Rock over london, rock on Chicago!

--Patrick

[1] http://www.ecademix.com/JohannesHofmann/#flpsed