[wplug] Distro selection assistance

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Fri Feb 17 11:31:39 EST 2006

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 10:05:03AM -0500, David Harper wrote:
> I am trying to install a light weight version of linux on a Sony VAIO N505VE
>
> Celeron 333MHz
> 64 MB SDRAM
> 6 GB HD
> One PCMCIA slot (used for CD drive - no internal CD drive)
> Floppy
> 3Com 3CCFE575BT-D (PCMCIA 10/100)

Your main limitation is RAM, not CPU or disk space.  If you have empty
slots, consider expanding the memory -- it should be dirt cheap.

A full Gnome environment runs only slightly sluggishly on my old 233
MHz laptop, but it has about 256M of memory.  On the other hand, I've
just set up an Xbox to run MythtV (frontend, X server, ssh server and
that's about it).  It has a 733 MHz CPU, but only 64M of RAM.
Anything that makes it swap is unbearable.

Debian (or Ubuntu) makes it easy to customize for these kinds of
environments.