[wplug] Distro selection assistance

Rob Knapp myddrin at myddrin.com
Fri Feb 17 11:17:56 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-02-17 at 10:05 -0500, David Harper wrote:
> I am trying to install a light weight version of linux on a Sony VAIO
> N505VE

I haven't used them directly, but there are a few really small distros
like "D*mn Small Linux" and "Business Card Linux" that might fit your
needs.

Also, you might want to look at not installing X at all.  You said
something about a backup server.  If it were me (which it isn't...and
you didn't ask, but I'm going to tell you anyway. :) ), I'd download
debian and do a server install (no X, just basic stuff) and then start
stripping out what you don't need (ftp server, httpd, etc are probably
not needed. [Ubuntu also has a server intall option, but I've not used
it... I would suspect that it's pretty much debian. :) ]

I had a perfectly serviceable storage and dhcp server running on a 133
Mhz pentium for years with this approach.  (It got killed during the
massive power outage in the north east a few years back....)