[wplug] [OT] Acrobat's mysterious messages

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Fri Feb 17 09:53:12 EST 2006

"beer" <beer at cmu.edu> wrote:

> On Thu, February 16, 2006 8:09 pm, Bill Moran said:
> > No, no, no.  You're misunderstanding me.
> >
> > This is a PDF _form_.  Much like an HTML form.  It's intended to be
> > filled out, except Acrobat won't let me do anything with it once I've
> > filled it out, except print it!
>
> I dont think we are misunderstanding you.  I think you are making an
> assumption that is clouding your view here....just because a form is
> available online does not make it an 'online form.'  For instance, the
> Post Office has a number of their forms online in pdf but there intention
> is for you to download the form and submit a paper copy.  I think that is
> likely what is happening here.

You could be correct.  In this case, it seemed logical to fill out the
job app and email it back (filled out).  Not being able to do so is a
royal PITA.

I would have like, at _least_ to be able to save the document.  Since it's
3 pages long, I filled out the first half, and went to take a break.  Since
I'm paranoid, I tried to save my changes just in case something bad
happened while I was away from the terminal.  That's when I learned that
I couldn't

At this point, it looks like I have my answers - thanks to the input by
the list:
Apparently, there are "permissions" that can be set on the document when
it is created.  One of these permissions is "submit form data".  Without
it, you can't save the form data, email it or do anything else with it.

Apparently the creater of this document made a mistake and turned that
permission off.  I suppose it could have been intentional, but I can't
imagine why.

As far as the post office is concerned, I can understand that they only
allow you to submit the form in printed form, but (again) it sure would
be nice to be able to save an electronic version as well.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies