[wplug] [OT] Acrobat's mysterious messages

Scott F. Kiesling kiesling at pitt.edu
Thu Feb 16 22:24:33 EST 2006

Maybe someone has said this -- I've only had half an eye on
this thread, so apologies and ignore me if so:

Why not just "print to file" and send the postscript file?
Or do ps2pdf? I just did it with a document and the only
problem was that it had the pages in the wrong order.

SFK

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 05:54:31PM -0800, kimberly mckinnis wrote:
> From: kimberly mckinnis <kim at starjewel.org>
> Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 17:54:31 -0800
> To: 'General user list' <wplug at wplug.org>
> Subject: RE: [wplug] [OT] Acrobat's mysterious messages
>
> I think this might answer your question. And yes, it sucks, because it seems
> they do indeed want you to upgrade and take your money. Can you print and
> mail the job app? Perhaps the company who posted it was unaware of Acrobat's
> restrictions.
>
> http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/326051.html
> "Adobe Reader 6.0 and Adobe Reader 7.x allow you save a copy of a PDF file
> to your local hard disk. However, they do not let you save changes you make
> (such as incremental saves while filling out a form) unless the PDF file is
> rights-enabled. To save changes in a PDF file that is not rights-enabled,
> you must use Adobe Acrobat Standard or Professional."
>
> This might apply as a workaround, though I haven't tried it:
> http://studio.adobe.com/us/search/content.jsp?lang=en&item=acr7qtsaveform
>
> "If you complete a form once in an AdobeR PDF file, you can save the content
> and reuse it the next time you fill out the form.
>
> When you have completed a form, choose File > Form Data > Export Data from
> Form in Adobe AcrobatR 7.0 (U.S.) to open the Export Form Data As dialog.
> Browse to the location on your hard drive where you want to store the file.
> Acrobat names the file using the form's name in the FDF file format. To
> complete the process, click Save. If you work with a lot of forms, leave the
> default filename. That way, you know which data file belongs to which form."

Scott F. Kiesling, PhD

Assistant Professor
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Linguistics

Graduate program information:
http://www.linguistics.pitt.edu/grad/index.html

Email: kiesling-at-pitt-dot-edu
Web: http://www.pitt.edu/~kiesling/skpage.html

University of Pittsburgh
2816 Cathedral of Learning     Phone: 1-412-624-5916
Pittsburgh, PA 15260 USA       Fax: 1-412-624-6130