[wplug] [OT] Acrobat's mysterious messages

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Feb 16 20:09:16 EST 2006

"Matthew J. Hughes" <mhues at verizon.net> wrote:

> If I remember correctly the only *real* problem you have is not having
> sent Adobe your $150....err $300. jeez, prices do change. Reader is for
> reading if you wanna write it is gonna cost you! Adobes minimum product
> is Adobe acrobat Standard [1]. Though you can pay more if you want [2].
> Unless you use the open source tools, then of course it is free.
>     I think what you really want to do is read a PDF, modify it, and
> output the changes. PDF was never really meant to do that. PDF is really
> more of a display format, and a controlled one at that. Quite frankly I
> was surprised to see the save button in my browser for PDFs, they always
> seemed to not want you to have a copy of the things. I never tried it
> but I always imagined that pdf2html, modify, html2pdf would do the
> trick. If you do it, please let us know how.

No, no, no.  You're misunderstanding me.

This is a PDF _form_.  Much like an HTML form.  It's intended to be filled
out, except Acrobat won't let me do anything with it once I've filled it
out, except print it!

It's also very polite in that it lets me fill out the 3 page job application,
_THEN_ it tells me that it can't save anything I've done.

A slightly earlier warning would have been nicer.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies