[wplug] [OT] Acrobat's mysterious messages

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Feb 16 17:48:05 EST 2006

"beer" <beer at cmu.edu> wrote:

> Bill
>
> Isnt Reader for 'read-only' access to pdfs?

This seems to be the popular theory, and I considered it at first.

However, run this comparison through your cranium and see if you come up
with the same conclusion I did:
Imagine a web browser that allowed you to fill in an HTML form, but did
not allow you to submit it.

While HTML & PDF aren't exactly the same thing, there's a lot of
similarities that make me think it's _logical_ for a PDF _reader_ to
be able to submit PDF forms to _somewhere_.

But Adobe doesn't check with me before making such decisions, so it's
entirly possible that they see it differently.

> On Thu, February 16, 2006 1:40 pm, Bill Moran said:
> >

> > It looks as if Adobe has been taking lessons from Microsoft.  If not,
> > they've certainly picked up MS' ability to provide cryptic and mostly
> > useless error messages.
> >
> > Acrobat reader 7 says "Data typed into this form will not be saved.
> > Acrobat Reader 7 can only save a blank copy of this form."
> >
> > With _absolutely_no_indication_of_why_!
> >
> > The Windows and Linux versions both give me similar messages.
> >
> > Does anyone know WTF is going on with this?  Are both of my installations
> >  of AR flawed?  Is something wrong with the PDF provided to me?  Is AR
> > simply crippled and unable to do this?
> >
> > I haven't been able to find anything online regarding these messages - at
> >  least, nothing helpful.
> >
> > -- Bill

Bill Moran
Potential Technologies