[wplug] OT - word of warning on Maxtor 250GB drives

Patrick Wagstrom pwagstro at andrew.cmu.edu
Wed Feb 15 14:50:20 EST 2006

> Thanks Bill. Do you think I should buy a cheap external DVD burner
> (USB) or a cheap external (USB) HDD for backup purposes or will data
> transfer over USB 1.0 be painfully slow?
>
> Zach

Zach,

You might want to consider a LinkSys NSLU2.  It's a little network
device that you attach USB2.0 hard disks to.  Provides samba file
sharing, but because it runs Linux, you can use NFS and install backup
daemons on it.

For my computer, I basically do all my backups over the network because
I've got 100Mbit ethernet but only USB 1.1 on board.

--Patrick