[wplug] OT - word of warning on Maxtor 250GB drives

Michael Skowvron michaels at penguincentral.org
Wed Feb 15 11:17:25 EST 2006

Vanco, Don wrote:
> All my drives are kept in open air where possible as they all get
> cooking hot during this process.

Are you saying that you have many of your drives in USB enclosures and
you keep them tops off to dissipate the heat? I have an almost identical
setup, except that I'm using a bunch of 1394 enclosures.

I started off using the small 3 1/2" enclosures and left the lids off
for cooling. Later I switched to the 5 1/4" cases because they had
larger cooling fans. I have the top on, but the front of the enclosure
is open and I've added a baffle to direct the airflow across the drive.

http://www.penguincentral.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=64&pos=0

I have proven to myself that heat is the primary factor in drive
reliability. Those drives that I've been able to keep cool to the touch
have been trouble-free. Those that have been allowed to get hot or even
warm to the touch, have reliability problems.

My 4x120 and 4x250 RAIDs have fans directly in front of them. They are
cool to the touch and have been reliable. No drive replacements so far.

http://www.penguincentral.org/gallery/displayimage.php?album=64&pos=1

Michael