Cheap home mass storage?? (was - RE: [wplug] OT - word of warning on Maxtor 250GB drives)

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Tue Feb 14 16:10:51 EST 2006

> So I should ask - does anyone have any ideas for cheap home mass storage
> (above 2TB)?
>
> I've seen the Linux Disk stuff, and I've seen lots of SATA shelves - but
> the issue is that the cost of admission (the shelf before even adding
> drives) has just been too high.
>
> I'm all for "El Cheapo" drives - but the issue is that when they are
> crazy cheap (like the Tiger sale) you can only get one at a time and
> there is a large rebate to wait on....
>
> Any comments?  I'd love to find 3 to 5 TB (JBOD even) at under 5
> grand.....

 	You can get shelves from EBay, though having gone that route a
couple of times -- it is difficult to get large numbers of
wacky-interfaced disks real cheap.

 	I find that using EIDE disks, I can quickly make use of disks from
a broken-up RAID. One might even call that convenient. What do you do with
12 LVD SCSI disks? You chuck 'em.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		http://www.zhrodague.net