[wplug] OT - word of warning on Maxtor 250GB drives

Dane Miller dane at olneyfriends.org
Tue Feb 14 15:15:08 EST 2006

Rick Reynolds wrote:
> I've been reading this thread with interest as I'm wanting to create a
> smallish (500 GB or so) backup server for my home network.  What's the
> group's current thinking on best bang-for-buck large drives?

Here's what I use/recommend for a backup server on the cheap.  Getting
Bacula set up is a fun weekend project :)

Hardware: old PII or PIII box, 2 big cheap IDE disks, as much RAM as you
can afford to squeeze in
OS Setup: Linux booting onto software RAID 1
Backup Software: Bacula

My attitude is that backup servers don't have to be particularly
reliable (i.e. a disk can fail, it can be down for a day)... this may be
a controversial attitude though.

Dane