[wplug] [OT] ooh ooh ...

Matthew J. Hughes mhues at verizon.net
Mon Feb 13 20:06:17 EST 2006

Philip Reiche wrote:

> I bought the DVD set on Steve's and your recommendation back in late
> June, and I love it!  My wife loves it! She's a huge fan of Sci-Fi and
> westerns and Firefly combines the two styles quite well. Best TV we've
> seen in years. The pilot, shown for some inane reason at the end of
> the series when it was broadcast, does a great job introducing the
> characters and establishing the ongoing plotlines.

Those that bought the DVD probably already know, the shows were
rearranged because some network exec decided the first show wasn't good
enough to catch audiences. So they put together (wrote) "the train
robbery" in a couple a days, and made it first. Essentially the network
executives decided that audiences can't grasp it in the way the
writer/director wanted to present it. Maybe that is why the the simpsons
make fun of network executives. The DVD extras describe this.

> Minor spoiler:
>
> One of my favorite scenes. Bad guys fought crew of Firefly and lost.
> Baddest of the thugs makes one of those TV "you may have won this time
> but I'll track you down if it's the last thing I do" vows. Hero kicks
> him into the intake of an engine, ending threat. Nice ....

The look Mal gives in this seen is great, and is descriptive of his
character. I really thought that what you described was the set up for
the joke. The joke being how henchmen #2 acts.

> <snip>
> > I don't want to seem like a clueless dolt ... but what is Serenity?  I

This is exactly why the show is off the air. I didn't even know this
show existed until after it was canceled. I think I stumbled across it
while looking for the trailer for the movie. Probably the same network
executive who rearranged show order decided it didn't need any
promotion. This sad thing is this show would have brought in great long
term revenue, liscencing and rerun, if they had done a little up front
investment. It would have been like Star Trek in that there would be a
convention every year, spin-offs, movies, merchandising, and sadly a
bunch of geeks running around doing a battle-of-Serenity-reenactment.

-matt